Ok, ok, my HUSBAND's MIT degree came in handy, not mine. So, I finally finished the table! YAY!!! Damn, it was time consuming. You saw it painted white. I took forever to bite the bullet on the chevron stripes that I finally decided on after weeks of hemming and hawing on what to do. But, one evening last week I enlisted my mathematically inclined hubby's help to get the stripes going. Oy, is all I can say!
First, I (well, he) drew a line down the middle of the table.
Then, I decided on the angle of where I wanted the first stripe to hit the middle line. I measured the distance from the edge of the table to my angled line end.
Then I decided how wide I wanted the stripes to be. From that point on, I just marked the appropriate widths across the whole length of the table. Can you believe I didn't use the protractor!! Until the very end.
At the end, there wasn't enough space to do the full measurements of the last stripe. But, I still wanted to have the beginnings of one. So, handy man brought out the protractor and figured out the angle for me. Don't know how he did it, so there is no info for ya! After marking out all of the lines with my ruler, I taped off the 3 inch wide stripes that were going to stay white.
I painted the un-taped areas sweatshirt grey by Benjamin Moore (leftover from my dining room)
and then I waited. several days. There were some "holidays" as my dad likes to call them and I had run out of steam for a second coat. So, finally today I finished the last coat and ripped off that blue tape.
Before and after:
new chests to arrive from MA. For now it is in the family room. We'll see if it lasts.